Saturday 6 May 2017

Big news - small flower!


Hurrah!

The first big success of my gardening year - my new Banksia Rose is flowering!



I only planted it last year and thought it would take at least a couple of years to settle. I also thought I had checked it thoroughly for buds but obviously not!

This is what it looked like this time last year, and now it is up to the top of the arch and FLOWERING.



The arch is at the back of the garden, by the garage and the rose has its feet in the awful compacted hardcore-heavy ground that is our parking area, but even so it seems very happy.

This is it from the bathroom which is where I first noticed the flowers.



(apologies for the fuzzy images - they were taken yesterday in a very gusty wind. Trying to co-ordinate the photo with a calm moment was challenging!)


Bearing in mind it was bought as an end of season bargain it's not doing badly at all. I can't claim that it's covered in flowers but there are enough to make me very happy.

The inspiration for planting it was in Florence here, and it'll look like that in no time!!!



Right, enough borderline hysterical excitement and back to work. It's raining again today and the planting out is seriously backing up now.

The 'urgent' list (there's more than 1 list!!) now reads:
Astrantia x3, Hollyhocks x2 , Verbena Bonariensis x2, Lychnis x2, Foxgloves x3, Geraniums x2, a Candelabra Primula (which is already flowering), a Cornus, a white Iris and something that has been waiting so long I have completely forgotten what it is!

That's a busy Sunday!







No comments:

Post a Comment