Tuesday 4 November 2014

Planting for spring

Last week was half term, the weather was mild, although damp, and the ground warm - perfect gardening weather and how much was I out in the garden? Not at all!
Typical really, visitors, teens, days out and eating/drinking too much took over and nothing got done. I am, however, now the proud owner of a lovely trug, courtesy of my Mother-in-Law. I'm less proud of the pile of unplanted bulbs that are reposing within it.


A couple of weeks ago I had a splurge and planted some white Honesty seedlings from Sarah Raven, a couple of Echium seedlings from Jayne and some of the bulbs I have rashly purchased, planting them mainly in pots.

Now I have a pot of Lily Pink Perfection, a new venture for me having never grown Lilies before, these are threatening to grow to 48-72 inches - I'm already scared! I have my Lily beetle goggles ready, and intend to be vigilant and ruthless (except when I forget, or get distracted, or the if plants get foot/basketballed before they get above the parapet!)


I also planted a large pot of successional bulbs; starting in spring with Muscari, Latifolium and Azureum, followed by Tulip Virichic, then Ixiolirion in the summer and some Schizostylis, also now known as Hesperantha (like it's not hard enough to remember plant names without them changing them) for autumn. I'll interplant with some annuals in the spring, but I'm hoping for low maintenance, season long interest (ha - in my dreams!)

Muscari Latifolium                                      Muscari Azureum


Schizostylis or Hesperantha coccinea

So there is still the shady bed by the front gate to be planted with more white Anemone Blanda, early Eranthus Hyemalis, scented Trevithian Daffodils and Forget-me-Nots, and I have to try and remember where I planned to put the rest of the Muscari I bought and the two lots of Alliums. They weren't impulse buys, honest, there was a plan - I just can't quite remember what it was!

Anemone                                                             Eranthus


And that's just the bulb planting, the list of cutting planting, clearing and cutting back makes me feel slightly queasy so I shall ignore it for now, I generally find that is a good strategy for dealing with overwhelming tasks in the garden. And if you ignore them long enough at least some of the work has died, rotted down on its' own or been eaten by snails so the workload is lighter than you thought!

(The flower pictures in this post are all stock images as I haven't grown any of these yet, with thanks )




No comments:

Post a Comment