Thursday 27 February 2014

In the shopping bag this weekend...

As regular readers will know I went to the Bosvigo Graden Hellebore Day with a shopping list, it read:

1. Double Yellow (for my new shady bed)
2. Darkest Blue/Purple (because I have always loved them)
3. Double Pink (for my Mum)
4. Anything else that takes my fancy, because you can never have too many Hellebores!

So how did I do? Well firstly and most importantly my Mum's order is in the bag!


This lovely pink double is stunning, with pagoda like layers of petals...


...beautiful fat buds...


...and stunning speckled petals. (I have to keep reminding myself that this is for Mum and that I can't have it - I must not plant it in my garden, I must not plant it in my garden)

Then for me? Well, there were no double yellows which was disappointing, but then I have to have something to go back for next year. And the really dark metallic blue Hellebores? Strangely I wasn't that taken with them. They were quite short and rather ignorable next to all the tall and graceful doubles with their sumptuous flowers, so instead I bought this:


A fantastic dark pink double, with darker veining on the petals. It's fab!


With gorgeous golden centres and tall swaying stems - there will be no ignoring that in the garden!


And that is it! How restrained was I, I hope you're impressed? 

There was a moment when I was clutching four Hellebores and looking for more, but reason kicked in before the handing over of cash (which I hadn't taken enough of anyway). Then when I got home I realised that one of the largest plants that I was lamenting that I couldn't do without was almost identical to the trusty first Hellebore I ever bought, that is looking lovely at the moment! The Hellebore goggles were definitely at play!
So a gorgeous swag I think you'll agree, now for planting, and I must remember not to plant Mums although it would just fit perfectly next to...

No comments:

Post a Comment