Monday 20 January 2014

02 Mahonia

The second in my 'Flowering in my garden today' series is Mahonia, and thankfully my camera is sorted out (operator malfunction/stupidity!) so I can now take a reasonable picture or two.


 My Mahonia (I think it's a Winter Sun but I bought it in a sale without a plant marker so can't be sure) has been flowering since well before Christmas and as you can see is getting towards the end of its season, but still looks lovely, and in these days of endless rain the bright yellow spires reflect beautifully in the glossy, dark (and very wet) leaves!


The great explosions of flower spikes give real excitement at this time of year and the tall, architectural and evergreen branches add structure to the garden all year round. When the flowers are over  they are replaced by blue black berries which are popular with the birds (you can see the new green berries just starting to form in the picture above). I have read that the berries are 'partially edible' but I am very unconvinced by anything with that description. Sounds to me like a 'won't kill you, but tastes disgusting' moment, so I recommend you don't deprive the birds!


It is as well to mix Mahonia with other things, too much of it can look a little municipal but there is a reason it is beloved of the Parks Deparment. It is robust, hardy and very easy to manage (apart from the spiky leaves), a truly low maintenance plant. It likes partial shade to full shade (which is always handy), and if it gets too tall you can cut it back after flowering and it will shoot again. Thankfully it is frost hardy (except for very tender new growth) as most of the excitement takes place during the part of the year most prone to freezing weather!

Mahonia - a hard working, low maintenance garden star!



No comments:

Post a Comment